Monday, June 09, 2008

And with no preamble or semblance of cohesion...

I've decided to plan our food like a menu, I've planned two weeks of menus for a hospital including all three squares with diet restrictions met-surely I can do this for our home to make my life easier. So far I've just settled on entrees-Sunday-venison or duck, Monday-seafood or meatless, Tuesday-Turkey, Wednesday-Chicken, Thursday-Beef, and then Friday can be leftovers, take out or dining out. I figure to have leftovers made into salads or other incarnations for lunches and will be making fritattas, whole wheat pancakes and steel cut chewy oatmeal for breakfasts.
Tonight I thawed some precooked, detailed shrimp and marinated them along with sweet bell peppers, baby portabellos, and gorgeous locally grown tomatoes in a sun dried tomato lite vinegarette dressing with extra vinegar, olive oil, garlic, a dash of sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. I let that sit for a few hrs and then served it on vegetable rice pilaf. We each had a small plate and felt totally satisfied. I got a ton of wonderful produce at Costco of all places, much of it grown here in Texas, fresh, with no disgusting coating of wax or chemicals. I did buy a ton so it has been fun to feast on fruit and veggies today. Our son ate two sandwich baggies of grapes all by himself and shared an asian pear with me at breakfast. He is a fruit lover so that is no surprise but he is also enjoying salad with me which makes my heart glad.
I kept him home today and we had a wonderful time, a welcome cold front came in along with dark skies and high winds. He helped me to make a cup of coffee (balanced on his little chair) and then we set up tents in the living room and watched Sound of Music. It was every bit as lovely as it sounds.
Just went for a slightly longer walk and did it in less time so I must be improving though it doesn't feel like it. Tomorrow the wee one goes back to school so I'll be hitting the garage to hoist hunks of metal in a repetitive fashion.

An idea of what I ate today for kicks:

Afore mentioned chewy oatmeal (vastly different than old fashioned oats) with a squidge of honey and a whole wheat english muffin with a slice of dark red tomato and a vegetarian sausage patty. I got halfway through the sandwich and was full so I wrapped the plate in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. Oh and I had about a cup of grapes.
String cheese and a large asian pear.
Flat out wrap bread with chipotle hummus, sweet peppers, tomato and honey ham.
Strawberries
Bowl of Fiber One raisin bran type cereal with lite vanilla soy milk.
nonfat Fage yogurt with dried tropical fruit sprinkled in and a squirt of honey.
Shrimp dinner I already talked about-

I won't bore you with this all the time but I have to say I am pleased with what I ate today and am looking forward to each day going forward.
Hungry now so I think I'll go scrounge up a nutritious, tasty, snack.

As soon as I can figure the video thing out I'll be doing that sometimes but I have yet to tackle it. Stuff and nonsense.

1 comment:

LMI said...

I tried to comment on your post yesterday but goofed it up somehow. Durr.

Oh, I love the chewy oatmeal and have become a fan of hot whole-ish grain cereal in general. So good.

That shrimp dinner sounds fantastic.

Don't be too hard on yourself for what you're calling inconsistency. It sounds to me like you're just trying to figure out what will work best for you, and sometimes the only way to do that is by trial and error.