Monday, November 17, 2008

Lightbulb Moment


Reading this post over at Marelisa's wonderfully uplifting and useful blog gave me an idea.
Those of us that have made changes focused towards living a healthier life or tried to become a more automated healthy lifestyler may just need to keep in mind that we have to practice just like any other skill. Why is it that we tend to think we're malfunctioning if we "fail" at embodying our fitness/nutrition ideal when perhaps it's not been our mode of living since birth? Think of it, if you were raised from birth practicing daily exercise and enjoying healthy properly portioned meals would it be hard to do now? Of course not. Note I said enjoying, not having it forced on you. I know people that had alternative upbringings with parents that went to the other end of the spectrum, never allowing a cookie or birthday cake, etc. and they resented it and rebelled themselves into some serious health problems they're now trying to resolve.
My parents never even mentioned exercise and good nutrition was not really a focus, I lucked out for the most part because we couldn't AFFORD junk food so therefore did not get any. Most meals were pretty well balanced if you ignore the fried stuff but overall that wasn't so bad. This had a bad effect on me in the end because as soon as I could buy junk I did after seeing it as forbidden until I moved out. That set me up for a food insecurity situation and binge and restrict behavior but that's a talk for another day.
Bottom line, I'm going to be kinder to myself, you should too, and I'm just going to keep practicing. If I keep at it (and I will) someday I'll be a master.

PS I just now realized this template had a title option and turned it on. D'oh! I have no idea why it was not enabled and just thought this template didn't have that and sort of hated never getting to title anything. Wonders never cease...

4 comments:

Marla said...

It's interesting knowing everyone's back stories. My parents really underfed us, I don't know if it was ignorance or spite, and we all three developed a real obsession with food. My brothers and I would take our chore money and walk to the supermarket and buy bread, cheese, and lunchmeat, and sit in the parking lot and eat sandwiches! It wasn't even a matter of wanting junk food, we were just HUNGRY. Well, that's a long post for another day!

OK, I need to ask you this again, because I can't find your answer from before. What is the kettlebell video workout that you like so much? And what are the weight(s) of your belles? I am compiling my Christmas list :-)

Leah J. Utas said...

Good philosophy. I'm not good at more stuff than I'm good at. I've decide to go ahead and do things and enjoy for what they are. Whether it's snowshoeing or playing guitar, I simply charge ahead.

Erin said...

Marla,

Yes I could go on and on about the factors that contributed to my food/weight issues and I think that I should write that entry at some point. I would like to read yours too.
As for the KB video and belles-I like the Iron Core volume 1 with Sarah Lurie (could be butchering her name completely here). I had a 10, 15 and a 20 but am more around in the 30s now for most moves beyond snatches. The way she says "Now let'd so our snatches" makes me snicker and mimic her everytime she says it-I think that's on volume 2. That one is good too but a bit too much of an ass kicking I think-I have to be super careful with my knees on turkish get ups, the lunges and I am incapable of the deck squat maneuver, my hips are simply too tight to roll back up to my feet.
In summary: heartily recommend the volume one iron core fitness kettlebell video and you would be surprised with what weight is appropriate. The 15 worked for a while despite that not being much compared to what I was lifting. I also progressed really quickly through the weight amounts so it may be something you need to upgrade every few months or so but I think it is totally worth it! Hey just a thought I would also recommend a good heart rate monitor, I love my Polar and think it really adds to workouts and truly learning where you're at as far as pushing too much/too little. Makes intervals a breeze too, I go by heart rate rather than minutes.

Erin said...

Leah, I think it is great that you can see things that way and do them. I would be a lot less stressed out if I didn't expect to be great at everything and anything. Gratitude, patience and acceptance are all things I work at-your gratitude posts help me with that!