Tuesday, March 06, 2007

A fitness article that is actually useful and doesn't leave me going, "No kidding, duh." This was on my Yahoo homepage and I clicked on it though I was reluctant to read the same stuff I already know. While I did already know this stuff it actually seemed like an article that might be USEFUL to people that don't know these things instead of the usual, "Hey, I have a revelation! Park further from the door and pass on that bread at dinner!" crapola. I have no idea about the vest thingie but will check it out when I get a chance. As of the moment I am mired in Organic Chemistry lab homework that I have no clue how to complete. D'oh!


Your Body Can Burn Fat on Its Own
Posted by Debbie Rocker
on Tue, Feb 27, 2007, 5:43 pm PST
Post a Comment
View all 117 Comments »
Wouldn’t you just love it if your body decided to burn fat and calories on its own?

It can:
1. Exercise in short, intense bursts (interval training) for effective fat burning after exercise.
2. Increase the amount of resistance/strength/weight training you do, to build more lean muscle. Muscle is ‘metabolically active’ and burns more calories than other body tissue even when you’re not moving.
And of course, for best results:
3. Chill on the amount of food you are eating.

Technically:
1. Our bodies are built to survive, so when you exercise for long periods of time (often and consistently) your body thinks it needs to hold on to fat for energy. Doing short (12-15 minute), intense exercise sessions builds strength and burns calories, but not fat, so it “feels safe” using fat stores for energy after exercise.
2. Resistance training (using extra weight) helps build lean muscle mass (and strong bones), and muscle burns more calories than fat.
3. If you are obsessing over things like fat grams and not eating a nutritious diet, your body will reserve energy (store fat) to survive.

Realistically:
1. Varying your exercise is the most effective and efficient way to stay lean and healthy. You must do some longer exercise to build cardiovascular endurance, burn lots of calories, and yes, even burn fat during exercise - your body will not click in to “save” mode unless you exercise for long periods of time, regularly and often.
2. You must do resistance training in order to build muscle and strong bones.
3. Nobody wants to exercise more - and we don’t want to train our bodies to need more exercise to stay fit. So exercise efficiently – two short, very intense (relative to your level of fitness) training sessions weekly, like a 15-minute fast run/walk or fast cycling sprint intervals, and two moderately long, moderately intense sessions (30-45 minutes) of strong walking, cycling, or yoga, with one long day (60-90 minutes) of a moderately paced walk/hike. That’s a great five-day/week training schedule.
4. Instead of adding more days to your workout schedule, add a weighted vest to your training. I have said this before, but this is the most efficient way that I know of to build muscle while burning calories. For more information, go to www.walkvest.com.
5. Eat moderately - stop counting fat grams and calories and look at how much food is on your plate! And eat more nutritiously by eating foods that are natural and unprocessed.

Keep it real -
Debbie Rocker

2 comments:

Kada said...

Great article.

I've been thinking about buying Alaskaboy a weightvest for his birthday. Currently when doing squats he has a backpack that holds about 20 lbs of dumbells, plus he grips some in his hands as well. The straps of the backpack always leave a carpet burn type of mark on his back and I'm thinking the vest'd have to be less stressful all around.

For walking or step aerobics I can see hwo this would be better than wrist and ankle weights as it's less stressful for the joints. But I wonder how many people could hurt themselves by not easing into the weighted vest. Adding 16 lbs over night would be hell on your muscles, joints, skeleton etc.

Gotta admit this has to be better than a sauna suit which just dehydrates ya. LOL And the more you "weigh" the more calories you burn. I currently burn twice as much as Alaskaboy for the same activity. Would be interested to know how it goes if you get one. :)

Erin said...

If Alaskaboy is using a backpack already than it sounds like the vest would be a neato present. I tried using a backpack filled with crap because at the time I did not have enough weight plates for my dumbbells but it didn't work out too great for me. I have also held on to my 30 lb son and done plie squats with him, which he finds fun, and boy howdy did that work. How much do the vests run? Do you know offhand? Maybe I need to quit being lazy and look it up!
I would be interested in wearing it to go for walks and such. If I get one I will definitely report back on it!I think it would be important to not overdue with the weight, I think I could handle the 16 easily with my new level of strength but when I was weaker, nuh uh! Being a mom with a small child makes me more adapted to carrying a load around with me too.